Monday, December 21, 2015

Touching Moments...

I was so grateful for the blessing I received this morning as I went into the gift shop of our hotel to buy some toothpaste that somehow I managed to forget to pack. How is it that I can remember to pack toothbrushes and not the toothpaste?  Anyhow, I am so glad that I did forget, otherwise I would not have met Matthew, and I would not have had my heart overflowing with love and my eyes fighting back tears as I left the gift shop.

Matthew is a down syndrome 20-year-old young man who was being trained to work the register at the gift shop counter.  I was so impressed with his boss - an older gentleman who was so loving and patient with Matthew as he very slowly punched in the numbers to add up my items for purchase. Matthew was very talkative and reminded me that there were only four more days until Christmas and then told me how excited he was.  I told him that I was so excited too, because I absolutely love Christmas.  He then told me that his birthday was just a few days ago.  I asked him what day and he told me it was on December 18th.  I excitedly told him that that was the same day as my husband Blaine's birthday.  His face lit right up with a giant smile and asked me how old my husband turned. I told him he had just turned 47.  "Boy that is old!" he said with a grin.  I agreed.  By then I had finished paying for my items, and as I turned to leave, Matthew wished me a Merry Christmas.  I told him to have a very merry Christmas as well, and then he said, "I love you!"  With tears starting to well up in my eyes and a lump in my throat I told him that I loved him too.  He grinned from ear to ear.  My heart soared and my step was light as I left the store.  What a precious young man!  No wonder the Lord commands us to be as little children.  They love so unconditionally.  Thank you Matthew wherever you are for blessing my life with your childlike love and wonder!  I just wish I had taken my phone with me to take a picture!

Blaine had an interview with a dentist down in Murray at 10:00 am so I took the boys to breakfast and then did some shopping.  When Blaine was finished we met him back at the hotel and then we walked over to the Temple Square visitors center and went up to see the Christus statue.  We sat in that room for about 30 minutes just visiting and enjoying the peace that was there.  Then off to the Joseph Smith building to eat at the Garden Cafe up on the 10th floor.  We enjoyed a delicious lunch and shared a piece of some of the best cheesecake I have ever eaten!!!  From there we headed home to Washington.  It was another wonderful day!


The Christus...


I loved this gigantic tree in the Joseph Smith Building...  Can you imagine decorating it?


Today's Verse to Ponderize:

2 Nephi 2:18

...and all flesh shall know that I the Lord am their Savior and thy Redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob.



No comments:

Post a Comment