Thursday, December 10, 2015

Courage and Forgiveness

Today was another average December day - house cleaning, laundry, errand running, Christmas card ordering (finally), Christmas shopping, exercising, meal fixing, dish washing, and book research and writing.  Amongst the business I found myself feeling anxious and worrying about our future.  I had to stop and remember to thank Heavenly Father for being in control, for having a plan for us, and for His ways being much higher than our ways.  I am always telling Blaine that it does absolutely no good to worry about things, in fact, it makes things worse.  That never works though because then he starts worrying that I'm not worried - He thinks it's because I don't care.  I just can't win with him!
Anyhow, as I was doing some research on forgiveness for the book I am writing I revisited a talk given by President Faust in the April 2007 General Conference.  It is titled "The Healing Power of Forgiveness."  In the process of doing this I also came across an article published in the Friend magazine written by President Faust. It is titled:  "Courage in a Cornfield."  I was so excited because this talk is written about my great, great, great grandmother Mary Elizabeth Rollins Lightner (how grateful I am for the wonderful heritage that I have).  As I read both of these talks my heart filled with gratitude as I reflected upon the powerful lessons that they teach.  I admire anyone who has the courage to act valiantly in the face of fear and adversity, and I know first-hand the tremendous amount of courage it takes to forgive those who have hurt us - especially those closest to us.  The Lord will always reward you when you act in courage to forgive others.  I am so grateful for the miracle and gift of forgiveness!  Fresh courage take and forgive!
Here are excerpts from both talks:
Courage in a Cornfield


Mary and Caroline Rollins

President Faust shares a true story of heroism and divine protection that can guide us today.
The light shining in your faces comes from the Lord. This same light led the way for 15-year-old Mary Elizabeth Rollins and her 13-year-old sister, Caroline, on a dark day in Independence, Missouri.
It was 1833, and an angry mob roared through the streets of Independence, wreaking havoc. In their path was the home of Brother William W. Phelps, where the printing press was kept. He had been printing revelations received by the Prophet Joseph Smith. The mob demolished the printing press and threw the wreckage into the street. However, they stacked up the printed pages in the yard so they could burn them later.
Mary Elizabeth and Caroline had been hiding by the fence, frightened spectators to all this destruction. Even though Mary Elizabeth was terrified, her eye was fixed on those precious pages. She and her sister ran out from their hiding place, gathered up the scriptures, and bolted. Some members of the mob saw them and ordered them to stop. But the brave girls ran into a large cornfield, where they dropped breathlessly to the ground. They carefully laid the pages of revelations between the tall rows of corn and then covered the pages by lying on them. The mobsters looked and looked for the girls, coming quite close at times, but never did find them. Eventually they gave up their search.
I believe the light of the Lord directed Mary Elizabeth and Caroline as to what to do and where to go for safety. That light shines for you, and it will guide you as it did the Rollins girls. It will keep you safe even when danger lurks.
My dear young friends, you can stand apart from evil, just as the Rollins sisters did, if you will develop your own testimony of the Savior. As you do so, you will grow in spiritual strength.


Mary Elizabeth Rollins Lightner


The Healing Power of Forgiveness

Forgiveness is freeing up and putting to better use the energy once consumed by holding grudges, harboring resentments, and nursing unhealed wounds. It is rediscovering the strengths we always had and relocating our limitless capacity to understand and accept other people and ourselves.
Most of us need time to work through pain and loss. We can find all manner of reasons for postponing forgiveness. One of these reasons is waiting for the wrongdoers to repent before we forgive them. Yet such a delay causes us to forfeit the peace and happiness that could be ours. The folly of rehashing long-past hurts does not bring happiness.


Some hold grudges for a lifetime, unaware that courageously forgiving those who have wronged us is wholesome and therapeutic.
If we can find forgiveness in our hearts for those who have caused us hurt and injury, we will rise to a higher level of self-esteem and well-being. Some recent studies show that people who are taught to forgive become “less angry, more hopeful, less depressed, less anxious and less stressed,” which leads to greater physical well-being.  Another of these studies concludes “that forgiveness … is a liberating gift [that] people can give to themselves.” 
Today's verses to ponderize:
1 Nephi 17:2, 13
...and they began to bear their journeyings without murmurings.
And I will also be your light in the wilderness; and I will prepare the way before you, if it so be that ye shall keep my commandments; wherefore, inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments ye shall be led towards the promised land; and ye shall know that it is by me that ye are led.

No comments:

Post a Comment